Why Annual Check-ups are Important
Animals can’t always tell us when they’re feeling under the weather, but they may exhibit signs like a loss of appetite or stilted movement, so it’s up to pet parents to schedule routine wellness checks. This time with us is all part of providing a wholesome, happy, and healthy life for your treasured companions.
On their second birthday, you might still view your pets as puppies and kittens, but in animal years they’ve entered adulthood. The aging process in animals is rapid compared to humans. Did you know, on average, one human year equals 5-7 cat/dog years. And this means major health changes can occur in the blink of a cat’s eye.
Routine wellness checks can help diagnose, treat, or prevent health problems. We believe prevention is the best cure for most ailments. This means regular check-ups and vaccinations to keep your pet in top shape. Regular checkups allow us to establish a baseline in your pet’s health and make us aware of any changes that may indicate future problems.
A routine wellness check includes a thorough examination of your pet looking at:
- Eyes, ears (for irritation, infection, discharge and other abnormalities)
- Integument (skin), and hair coat health, including lumps
- Heart and lungs (for heart murmurs or breathing problems)
- Determine body condition score, and talk about diet and exercise
- Assess oral health (teeth and gums)
- Gait & normal movement
- Normal reflexes and nervous system function
- Various glands being functional (anal glands, glands found in the eyes)
- Behavioural (barking, aggression, temperament changes)
- Urogenital (eliminating normally or abnormally)
- Stomach and Intestinal Health (diarrhea, blood in stool, parasites and deworming)
Afterwards, the vet will decide if further tests are needed. It’s also the perfect time to chat with us about nutrition, your pet’s behaviour, dental care, and any concerns you might have.
Even if your furry friend is living its best life, getting them routinely checked by a veterinarian can help improve their life span.
Book a routine wellness check today!